Translate

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Showdown at Guyamas, By Paul Lederer Writing as Logan Winters

This mostly western, part fantasy novel has Doctor Spectros searching for the enigmatic Blackschuster, the shape-changing magician, who kidnapped the beautiful Kristin and carries her away in a coma on her wedding day. Showdown at Guyamas is the first in a series of tales written by Logan Winters (Paul Lederer) that takes Spectros through many obstacles and adventures in search of his wife.

A lot of the action in this darkly written tale takes place at night in the shadows of the moon and stars. Blackschuster is in cahoots with wicked gunman "Rat" Peebles to take over a silver mine and a the U/No Ranch with Spectros as Kid Soledad hot on his trail. The scenes are action-packed with death coming out of nowhere and shots being fired all over the place when the parties meet at various points in the narrative and leading to the showdown at Guyamas.. 

Stories like this are not my cup of tea as I'm a lover of more traditional shoot 'em ups, but I can't say that I didn't like it with all the shootouts and action. I can't take fault with the author because there ae many who enjoy this type of writing with fantasy or sci-fi mixed in. I will give it three-and-a-half stars, but it may be better than that in some readers' opinions.

(Note: Reviewed for Open Road Integrated Media, the publisher of the series.)

7 comments:

  1. Sounds an unlikely mix of genres to me. Still, I don't suppose you know what you like until you give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some readers that like a mixed genre story, but not me yet.

      Delete
  2. Not my cup of tea either but I agree there are likely some fans out there for this type of western. I have read a bit of fantasy, but for me fantasy needs a good dragon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can handle these kinds of mixtures as long as they are not played too broadly for laughs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't detect much humor in this one, or I was too involved in the reading.

      Delete